Imagine if you could change just one person’s life. If you have experience of working with children and young people being a Residential Support Worker at A Wilderness Way means just that. You are making a huge difference by helping to transform our children’s lives. Our Residential Support Workers go above and beyond to help children move past the predominantly negative situations they have experienced and forge positive new pathways. Our homes are set in beautiful rural locations and our children live with our RSW’s to enable us to make positive long-term differences.
As well as providing emotional support, you will bring them routine, get involved in cooking, sports, writing, music, relaxing in the home or even getting a manicure. Working with the child, our Teachers and Therapists, you will come up with activity ideas, teach them new skills and nurture their confidence. You are not alone and will have support too. All of our homes provide individualised support around our children with 2 care colleagues on each shift pattern. You also have managers, a dedicated Outdoor team to help you path out what good looks like to the child and a Multi Disciplinary Team including Qualified Therapists and QTS qualified Educational Leads.
The Ideal Candidate
Experience is not essential, although we are looking for candidates to apply who have some level of experience working directly with children (albeit not necessarily in a residential setting) or in some form of care capacity. It is more important to us that you are enthusiastic and energetic and align behaviourally with our Core Values.
This role offers a great work life balance with our condensed working rota and sleep ins. Shifts start between 8am-9am. You’ll need to be happy to work towards a Level 3 Diploma or equivalent in Children and Young People’s Workforce (or already have one) and the willingness to work on a rolling shift pattern and sleep in our homes, on average around 10-11 times a month. Above all, we really want like minded resilient people who truly want to make a difference.
All roles will be subject to a successful disclosure at an appropriate level from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), Access NI or Disclosure Scotland as we follow safer recruitment processes. We are an equal opportunities employer. If you have experience as a Support Worker, Healthcare Assistant, RSW or similar please get in touch.
Just imagine the lives we can turn around together. A Wilderness Way – specialist care that creates a path to a better tomorrow.
Residential Support Worker
£27,962 to £30,225 dependent on experience and qualifications
£11.86 to £12.95 per hour plus Sleep in Allowance (£24,062 to £26,265 plus £3900 sleep in)
Join us and you can expect:
- Pension Scheme,
- Life Cover Insurance of 2 x your annual salary
- A 24/7 employee assistance and counselling programme
- Access to our above-and-beyond recognition scheme
- An in-depth induction and onboarding process supported by a dedicated academy team
- Fully funded enrolment and support on our internally designed and approved Level 3 diploma in Children and Young People's Workforce which is training cost agreement free - there is no handcuff pay-pack should you decide not to stay with the business for the duration of your course.
- Employee medical benefit scheme (dental, physio, eye care, etc)
- Employee Assistance Programme for free legal, health and wellbeing support and face to face counselling)
- Lots of employee engagement events and discounts schemes with access to our above-and-beyond recognition scheme and financial rewards.
- Double pay on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day
- All meals whilst on shift (usually over 2-3 days) are fully paid and catered for.
- Refer a friend scheme of £1,000 per successful introduction
- An opportunity to work directly with your shift colleague and the child you are caring for with our fully qualified outdoor instructors, providing opportunity to gain additional knowledge and have some fun on outdoor and adventurous activities in line with our AALS licence.
About the Company
AWW is one of the UK’s leading specialist providers of residential care for children who have suffered trauma and adversity.
We provide compassionate, nurturing care for children who are in crisis and have complex needs, supporting them to move from a difficult past to a brighter future.
Our homes are located in the peaceful and inspirational countryside of Cumbria, Northumbria, the Yorkshire Dales National Park and southern Scotland. Here, children experience safety and stability, as well as our renowned spirit of adventure and challenge: the ‘Wilderness Way’. With our support, children are able to thrive.